League Report: Derry City 0 - 2 Sligo Rovers

Sat, Jun 02 2018

David Cawley opened the scoring when he was the only man alert enough to play the whistle. Credit: John-Paul McGinley (ETPhotos)

Odhrán Crumley reports from the Brandywell Stadium

Strikes from David Cawley and Lewis Morrison secured a 2-0 victory for Sligo Rovers against a lacklustre, Derry City side at the Brandywell.

The win was Gerard Lyttle’s men’s first league win since April 30th and their second over Derry City this season.

However, it was the home side that shaded the early exchanges with Conor McDermott coming close with a strike from range.

Ronan Hale came close soon after but his volleyed effort sailed high over the top of the crossbar.

Sligo hit the front in the 11h minute when Rhys McCabe brilliantly dinking the ball over the Derry defence into the path of Cawley.

Everyone inside the Brandywell Stadium looked for an offside flag except for Cawley, who showed real composure in rounding Gerard Doherty before shooting into the empty net.

Sligo lost Gary Boylan six minutes as he was stretchered off the field – something no football fan likes to see and which is hopefully nothing serious.

Ronan Hale had a chance to equalise after Ben Doherty headed the ball into his path but his half volleyed shot was easily saved by Mitchell Beeney.

Five minutes before the break, Sligo should have doubled their lead as Gerard Doherty gave away possession, but Alex Wixted could not capitalise.

Kenny Shiels’ Candystripes started the second half on the front foot, winning two corner in quick succession.

The second was caught by Beeney in the Sligo goal who kicked a long ball up the field to Caolan McAleer out the right.

McAleer in turn crossed to Lewis Morrison who finished first time into the net to double his side's lead, capping a fine counter attacking move.

Sligo were now in complete control with McAleer holding up the ball on the edge of the area before backheeling into the path of Alex Wixted.

Wixted dribbled in the box before hitting a shot straight at Gerard Doherty from point blank range. Doherty regrouping with real sharpness to gather the scraps.

Shields made adjustments in an attempt to get his side back into the game, including going three at the back with the introduction of Eoin Toal.

All of this was in vein as his team were quite clearly second best, and Sligo’s game management saw them close out the game, the experience of Raff Cretaro coming to the fore.

Derry City: Gerard Doherty; Jack Doyle (Eoin Toal 80), Gavin Peers, Darren Cole, Conor McDermott (Jamie McDonagh 63); Nicky Low, Rory Hale (Cathal Farren 68), Ben Doherty, Aaron McEneff, Ronan Hale; Ronan Curtis.

Subs not used: Eric Grimes (gk), Jamie McIntyre, Adrian Delap, Niall Logue.

Booked: Nicky Low (37).

Sligo Rovers: Mitchell Beeney; Gary Boylan (Raff Cretaro 17), Seamus Sharkey, Kyle McFadden, Patrick McClean; Caolan McAleer, Rhys McCabe, Alan Cawley, Alex Wixted, Lewis Morrison (Eduardo Pincelli 69); Alistair Roy (Greg Moorhouse 62).

Subs not used: Edward McGinty (gk), Liam Kerrigan, Niall Morahan, Darren Collins.

Booked: Alistair Roy (34), Raff Cretaro (69).

Referee: Damian McGraith.

Attendance: 1,600 (estimate).

Extratime.ie Player of the Match: Rhys McCabe (Sligo Rovers).