Irish Premiership Round-Up: Glenavon go top as Linfield beaten at Coleraine

Sat, Nov 10 2018

Credit: NIFL

Glenavon moved above Linfield to the top of the Danske Bank Premiership despite being held to a draw at home to ninth-placed Warrenpoint Town.

The Lurgan Blues had to do it the hard way as they fell behind early on when Philip Donnelly got his head to a cross from Eamon Scannell.

Stephen Murray had a chance to equalise from the penalty spot but saw his effort saved by former Republic of Ireland under-21 international Aaron McCarey.

Murray did level for the home side two minutes before the break, as he tapped home Mark Sykes’ deflected shot. Donnelly hit the post after the break, but the points were ultimately shared.

Linfield had a chance to capitalise on the Down side’s slip-up as they travelled to the Showgrounds in Coleraine, but own goals from Matthew Clarke and Kirk Millar condemned them to a 2-1 defeat.

Coleraine took the lead midway through the first half when Clarke dived in to intercept Darren McCauley’s cross and inadvertently turned it into his own net.

Millar followed suit midway through the second in near-identical circumstances as substitute Jamie McGonigle’s cross was diverted past Roy Carroll in the Linfield goal.

And, remarkably, the own goals didn’t stop there, and Linfield halved the deficit with three minutes to go when a corner was glanced into his own net by Stephen Douglas.

Ballymena United continued their remarkable start to the season as Jonny Addis scored the only goal of the game at Glentoran to tighten the Antrim side’s grip on third place.

Addis returned to haunt the club he left in the summer as he thrashed the ball into the top corner after the Glens had failed to clear a corner.

Crusaders moved up to fourth as they edged a tight encounter with Ards at the Bangor Fuels Arena thanks to a fine second-half finish from Paul Heatley.

And Dungannon Swifts moved above Ards and out of the relegation play-off spot thanks to an exciting 2-1 victory at home to Institiute.

Dean Curry headed the Derry side in front within three minutes but Paul McElory scored twice, once from the penalty spot, to complete the turnaround.

Cliftonville and Newry City meet in the final game of the round on Monday night at Solitude.